In March 1978, the Womaen’s Caucus Steering Committee created a scholarship to further the leadership development of women in the Church of the Brethren. The scholarship honors Mary Blocher Smeltzer, one of the founders of the Women’s Caucus.
The scholarship is designed to enable Brethren women to participate in a variety of opportunities by providing financial assistance. The Womaen’s Caucus believes that leadership takes place in many significant ways including participation in workshops, training events, seminars, conferences, retreats, and short courses. These opportunities may be sponsored by the Church of the Brethren, or ecumenical or secular organizations. Funds do not allow allocation of scholarships for undergraduate or graduate course work.
The scholarship is offered to enable women to continue in the development of identified skills or to learn new ones. In order to assist as many women as possible, individuals may receive only one scholarship.
Applications must be made in writing and include:
- A description of the activity you plan to attend and how your attendance will contribute to your leadership skills within the Church of the Brethren.
- A statement of how your participation in this activity relates to the goals of Womaen’s Caucus.
- The anticipated total cost and specific amount of assistance requested (not greater than 50% of the total up to $200).
- The names and addresses of two references.
- A statement that if you are a scholarship recipient, you will make a written report to Womaen’s Caucus about your experience. This report must be received no later than three months after you complete the leadership training activity.
Please make application as far in advance as possible. Awards are made throughout the year, consequently there are no determined deadlines. Submit your application by email or our address.
Donations can be made to the scholarship fund online, make sure to put “Mary Blocker Smeltzer Scholarship” in the purpose line on the checkout page. Donations can also be made by sending a check to the address below:
Mary Blocher Smeltzer Scholarship
c/o Womaen’s Caucus
818 SW 3rd Ave #1299
Portland OR 97204